Independence Blue Cross Foundation Community Report showcases 2014 support Foundation awards totaling $5.4 million promotes childhood wellness, assists community health centers, supports nursing education, and invests in worthy partner organizations.
Philadelphia, PA – June 1, 2015 – The Independence Blue Cross Foundation (Foundation) provides vital support for our region through its funding for community health center clinics, nursing education, community organizations and targeted initiatives aimed at improving the lives and health of area residents, especially the underserved. These accomplishments are summarized in the Foundation’s 2014 Community Report, “Reimagining Community Health,” which includes a listing of the 125 grants totaling $5.4 million invested last year.
In 2014, the Foundation:
- Contributed $1.8 million to 22 area nursing schools to support more than 425 undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. nursing students through the Nursing for Tomorrow program. The Foundation also provided funding for 18 nursing internships.
- Invested more than $2.7 million to support 42 private, nonprofit community health centers, serving more than 200,000 people, through the Blue Safety Net program. Patient visits at these funded health centers exceeded 580,000 in 2014.
- Advanced the fight against childhood obesity through the Independence Blue Cross Foundation Healthy Futures Initiative. In 2014, the Foundation invested nearly $1 million in this groundbreaking child wellness initiative in 25 elementary schools throughout southeastern Pennsylvania. Healthy Futures partners include The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Union, Philadelphia 76ers, Philadelphia Freedoms, Vetri Foundation for Children, the Garces Foundation, Greener Partners, Villanova and Drexel Universities, Fit Essentials and InnerLink Health e-Tools for Schools.
- Increased by 32 percent its funding to community organizations that assist more than 100,000 people to live healthier lives. Through Building Healthier Communities, the Foundation provided $460,000 in funding to 28 community organizations targeting youth, seniors, and veterans, among other groups.
To view an online copy of the 2014 Community Report and other Foundation publications, please visit the media center at www.ibxfoundation.org.
About the Independence Blue Cross Foundation:
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation is a charitable, private foundation, whose mission is leading solutions for a healthier community. The Foundation targets the following areas of impact:
- Securing the Blue Safety Net:Achieving sustainability of the regional safety net by building capacity in health centers.
- Bolstering the Health Care Workforce:Advancing the education and professional development of nurses and nurse leaders.
- Addressing Health Priorities:Addressing national health trends locally through community-driven research.
- Building Healthy Communities:Driving wellness by targeting specific and diverse community health needs.
Independence Blue Cross