Philadelphia 76ers host basketball clinics at three elementary schools
Philadelphia, PA – May 21, 2015
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation (Foundation) and Philadelphia 76ers will host basketball clinics at three area elementary schools as part of the Healthy Futures Initiative, a three-year, nearly $3 million comprehensive, collaborative approach to combating obesity and improving childhood wellness in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
As part of Healthy Futures’ “Get Fit” focus, the Philadelphia 76ers will bring forward Robert Covington, members of the high-flying Sixers Phlight Squad and mascot Franklin to visit Ralph Waldo Emerson Elementary School, St. Francis of Assisi School and St. Joseph the Protector School for three mornings of fun, exercise and health education. The 76-minute special event will feature:
- various fitness activities for kids
- personalized basketball skills training sessions
- healthy lifestyles tips, including the importance of eating a healthy breakfast and getting enough sleep.
Healthy Futures focuses on three components of healthy living — “Eat Right,” “Get Fit” and “Stay Well” — each brought to life in area schools through partnerships with national and regional leaders with expertise in nutrition, fitness and preventative health care. Launched in August 2013, Healthy Futures now offers programming in 25 regional schools, directly impacting more than 1,000 students and their families.
WHEN & WHERE:
Thursday, May 21, 9:30 a.m. – 10:46 a.m.
Ralph Waldo Emerson Elementary School
6501 Mill Creek Road
Levittown, PA 19057
Tuesday, May 26, 9:30 a.m. – 10:46 a.m.
St. Francis of Assisi School
601 Buttonwood Street
Norristown, PA 19401
Thursday, May 28, 9:00 a.m. – 10:16 a.m.
St. Joseph the Protector School
2336 Fairhill Ave.
Glenside, PA 19038
Sixers forward Robert Covington
Sixers Phlight Squad
Sixers mascot Franklin
40-50 4th through 6th grade students
Maureen Furletti, Independence Blue Cross Foundation
About the Independence Blue Cross Foundation:
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation is a charitable, private foundation, whose mission is leading solutions for a healthier community. The Foundation targets the following areas of impact:
- Securing the Blue Safety Net:Achieving sustainability of the regional safety net by building capacity in health centers.
- Bolstering the Health Care Workforce:Advancing the education and professional development of nurses and nurse leaders.
- Addressing Health Priorities:Addressing national health trends locally through community-driven research.
- Building Healthy Communities:Driving wellness by targeting specific and diverse community health needs.
Independence Blue Cross