Independence Blue Cross Foundation partners with Back on My Feet to expand health metrics study
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation (Foundation), a long-time partner of Back on My Feet, is funding the organization’s second health metrics study at Surge Recovery in Philadelphia. The study assesses the benefits of consistent running and community building for men and women experiencing homelessness. Back on My Feet, a national nonprofit organization operating in 12 major cities coast-to-coast, combats homelessness through running, community support, and essential employment and housing resources.
health metrics study monitors height, weight, body mass index, cigarette use, heart rate, and blood pressure among program participants each month. The first study began in January 2015 at Back on My Feet’s South Philly location in conjunction with facility partner Ready, Willing and Able.
Data showed that after 60 days of participation in the Back on My Feet program, 40 percent of members had quit smoking and there was a 30 percent increase in members with normal blood pressure.
Learn more about the Foundation at www.ibxfoundation.org.
For more information about Back on My Feet visit http://philadelphia.backonmyfeet.org.
Subscribe to In Focus
- National Volunteer Month: A volunteer shares her story
- Launching the Nation’s Third Nurse Practitioner Residency Program
- The Future of Nursing Scholars Program: Paving the Way for the Next Generation of Nurse Educators
- Support Your Community This Spring with Outdoor Activities in Philadelphia
- Meet Some of Our 2016 Nurse Interns